Friday, May 14, 2010

The Great Dye Experiment

Ever since I made that scarf out of an old t-shirt, I've been on a quest to clear my closet of clothes AND to do it by altering them so they have a new, fabulous life!  When my housemate Amber asked if I'd like to use some aubergine dye she had leftover from a dying project, I thought I had just been handed the perfect chance!!!  

So, another housemate and I found some old stuff we wanted to try to make better.  Don't be fooled by the bright white the sun gave these items in the photo; they are well worn used-to-be favorites that have stains!!  

Jill and I had fun chatting in the backyard for 30 minutes, stirring our goods and catching some rays.  
 

We learned a few things; like that dye can't go on forever.  One of my items turned out pastel purple and not really my style.  This shirt is pretty good, but you'll see some icky colors in the tummy area.  So, it might be time to say goodbye to this old staple tee.  Or, maybe I'll try an applique project to cover it.  We'll see...    

1 comment:

  1. This is just a perfect application of the name of your blog - Everything you need IS already made! Sometimes we just have to get resourceful, do a little sewing or a little dying, to cut down on our waste and our spending! I am still trying to get those leather elbow patches over the whole in that beautiful sweater, but I am determined!

    ReplyDelete