Saturday, April 17, 2010

Reverse Image Search: A Dream Come True

I just heard about a reverse image search engine named TinEye. It finds out where an image came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or if there is a higher resolution version.  I have been dreaming of this capability for years!  Here is why:
  1. It is useful when you need to find an image source for crediting it (which, as you all know, it the ethical thing to do). 
  2. It useful for possibly finding a higher resolution of an image you found online so you can use it in print (which, isn't as ethical, but let's face it--it is sometimes kinda necessary.  You know you've been there...).
  3. It is cool (and possibly scary) to see if either pictures of you or pictures you have taken appear somewhere random.  I know someone who's young daughter wound up on a travel brochure once!  


Apparently the index of images is still rather small, so it won't pick up everything.  I tried a photo I'd seen on one of my newly fave blogs  and it didn't work. I actually don't know how I feel about ALL photos on the web being available; isn't that just a little big brothery creepish?

Still, this is interesting.  Now they just need to come up with a search engine that can find me the name of the song I am humming but can't remember any lyrics to.  Wouldn't that be grand?!? :)

2 comments:

  1. Very cool!

    And I am now obsessed with that Dress-a-Day blog. (So if I fail finals, it's all your fault!) ;)

    ReplyDelete