Sunday, August 1, 2010

Guatemala: Man-Made Beauty

For my last Guatemala post, I had to complement all the natural photos of my last post with some of the other wonders I saw on my trip. 
The ruins of the ancient Mayan city of Tikal-- phenomenal!
Here we are in the ruins of a cathedral back in Antigua.  
In the small village of San Marco (right on Lake Atitlan), there was this wonderful wall made of soda bottles, filled with trash.  This was part of an effort the town made to reduce litter.  I love the concept!  I also saw a sauna made of wine bottles cemented together in a beautiful pattern.  The idea of reusing things to make even our houses is very interesting to me. 
This one isn't so beautiful.  And it represents both natural and man-made I guess!  Its one of many roads that were wrecked by the torrential rains that came along with Hurricane Agatha.  This little disaster made a 2 hour drive to the lake 4 hours: here we were just ten minutes from San Marcos, but since we couldn't pass we had to turn around and go ALL THE WAY around the lake to get there, adding another 2 hours to the trip!  
But, it was worth it!  San Marco was beautiful.  This is the view from the honeymoon suite of a place where we ate brunch. 
The whole hotel was decorated with ornate mosaics that a French artists had done.  This is the bathroom in that same suite.  One thing you should know about me is that I love love love mosaic.  This was my dream spot.





No comments:

Post a Comment