Saturday, July 24, 2010

Guatemala: Antigua

So, I'm back from Guatemela!  I've been back for a few days but too busy to blog.  Also, it was such a great trip and I have so many wonderful photos, that I've been a little hesitant to even post about it because there is so much to say!  I think I'll post in chunks of time/place.  What better place to start than the lovely colonial city of Antigua!  About 45 min. from Guatemala City (where I hear there isn't much of interest to tourists), Antigua is so charming with cobblestone streets and colorful buildings.
This is the amazing facade of one of the churches there!  


This is a chicken bus!  Apparently, all broken down school buses from America are sent to Guatemala, repainted in bright colors with crazy patterns (also notice the women silhouettes!), and used for public transport.  Though we liked to look at them and marvel about how many people they fit both inside and on top, we did not like the thick black smoke the spat on us as they drove by!


We were so lucky to have had some amazing hosts.  Michelle (my travel partner) met Stephanie (below on the left), and she and her family gave us the royal treatment! The photo above is from the room we stayed in at Stephanie's sister's house, which had this amazing courtyard full of flowers and even a fountain.  It was gorgeous! 
And of course, I can't NOT mention the mojitos at a bar called La Sala.  They were the best I've ever had! 

1 comment: