Friday, February 5, 2010

I'll Meet You There

 At the gracious invitation of my friend Catherine, I went to a piano concert by Sarah Cahill last weekend at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music.  Hosted by the American Friends Service Committee, the whole night was about peace rather than war.  A number of the songs incorporated text, with Sarah speaking or doing vocal percussion.  One of them used a quote from Rumi, and it keeps running through my head this week:

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. 
I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about,
ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn't make sense."

What a wonderful way to talk about peace.  I love the idea of my soul laying down in the grass, of many souls laying in the grass and no longer being able to distinguish between "each other"....

No comments:

Post a Comment