Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Words Act one: Funny Vocab



Sometime awhile back when I was studying for the GRE, I signed up to get the Word of the Day email.  I must admit, these messages most often get to the trash bin without ever being opened...but I've come across some new words at work that got me back into vocabulary enhancing mode.  These are my two favorites, with my own definitions and commentary. :)
wysiwyg
This is the neat-o thing that appears when you are trying to edit web pages and stuff (looks kinda like the toolbar on Word); it helps you make things look pretty (bold, in color, italicized, centered) or add pictures without knowing code.  (Too bad I can't get my blog wysiwyg to center my photos!).  I just realized: this is an acronym: What You See Is What You Get.  No wonder the spelling is so weird!  This is also kind of a fund case of alliteration, because these things make me feel like a web page editing WHIZ!
dongle
This is the a piece of hardware, which you use to connect your laptop to other things.  Like when you want to hook up your pretty new mac laptop to the projector to show home movies you took on your camera to your friends!  We had a crisis at work the other day where someone renting our room for a conference didn't have one of these; my colleague kept saying "Sir, you need to get the correct dongle," and he kept saying "But can't you just make this work?" This kind of made me giggly!
More posts on words to appear soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment